We’re delighted to announce our first flash fiction competition, which opens for entries on 17th September 2018 with a closing date of 29th October 2018. Prizes? Yes, there are prizes!
1st £100, 2nd £50, 3rd £25 plus publication here on the Askance website and as much publicity as we can muster.
How many words is ‘flash’? Different places have different ideas but for this competition we mean a minimum of 250 and a maximum of 1000 words (excluding the title).
Any theme? Yes, any theme you like, we’re not telling you what to write about. BUT we aren’t keen on fan-fiction, fantasy, sci-fi, stories for children or excessive gore. Sex is ok, but pornography, hate stories, racial or gender abuse are definitely not. If you’re not sure what we mean then you probably shouldn’t enter.
So what are we looking for? Others express plenty of lofty ambitions about exciting new voices and stories that thrill and entrance etc etc but what it comes right down to is this: a good story, well told. We’re always open to originality of form or content just so long as you keep that basic premise in mind.
Entries must be your own work, in English, and never have been published before in any form – which includes your own website. Simultaneous entries are fine but please let us know if the story gets accepted elsewhere. Multiple entries are fine too, but one at a time please – one email and one payment for each story.
Payment? Yes, the entry fee for each story is £6.00 and, sorry, no refunds even if you withdraw the story.
We welcome writing from anywhere in the world, previous entries to Askance competitions have come from many countries including Australia, Bahrain, Canada, Mexico, South Africa, United States and the United Kingdom.
How to enter:
- The text should be double spaced in a standard serif font (like Times New Roman).
- The author’s name must not appear in the document as all judging is blind.
- The title, word count and page number should appear in the header on each page.
- Pay your entry fee of £6.00 by clicking here (it will take you to PayPal where you can use your account or a credit card to pay). Please make a note of the reference number of your payment.
- Send your story in an email attachment as a .pdf .odt .doc or .docx document to email@example.com. The subject of the email should be Flash Fiction 2018 followed by the PayPal reference number. In the body of the email please include your name and address. We will acknowledge all entries received, so if you do not hear from us within 48 hours of sending, please get in touch.
Depending on the number of entries, results of the competition will be posted here:
- Long list 12th November 2018
- Short list 19th November 2018
- Winners 26th November 2018
The prize-winning stories will be selected from the short list by the original founder of Askance, Caroline Jaine, who is an accomplished author, blogger and artist. More info here.
All winners will be notified in advance of posting on the Askance website. Please note that all prizes will be paid via PayPal.
What else? Rights: you keep the copyright to your work but by entering the competition you agree to grant Askance the non-exclusive right to publish your story in digital or printed form.
Terms and conditions: By entering the competition you agree to be bound by the rules and to accept that all decisions are final.